Do you get out the trusty Web Posting Mart old HTML editor, roll up your sleeves, and begin writing the HTML code from scratch? Well, if you have the skill to do it, and you have the time to do it, and you have the patience to do it, then that is one way to get it done.
Or maybe you just get out the trusty old checkbook and write someone a hefty check to do it for you. Well, if you have the money, then that is definitely the easiest way to do it. And then, when you need something added or changed, you can get out the old checkbook again.
What if you need it yesterday, not a few days or weeks or months from now?
What if you want a web site that is easy to add pages and content to, and you want to be able to do it yourself, quickly and easily and without having to get out that trusty old HTML editor, or the old checkbook for that matter?
What if you want a web site that search engines love, and you want to start getting some traffic without spending a fortune on SEO and then waiting and waiting to see the traffic?
What if you want a web site that you can change the look and feel of with just a few clicks of a mouse, and if you don’t like the new look, you can change it back with just a few more clicks?
Well partner, it sounds to me like you are in need of WordPress! More specifically, you need to learn just how powerful WordPress really is!
What kind of WordPress am I talking about when I say “powerful WordPress”?
Related Articles :
I’m referring to WordPress “jazzed up” with all of the 100’s and 100’s of themes and plugins that are available to turn plain old WordPress into a thing of beauty as far as web sites go.
And before you roll your eyes and say that WordPress is just for blogs, you better take a closer look. In fact, WordPress, along with all of the readily available plugins and custom themes, can do just about anything you want, and it can do it either at no cost or very low cost, and it can do it very quickly.
You can have a WordPress site installed, configured with basic settings, and some popular plugins and themes installed, in just a few hours, and for zero cost. How’s that for fast and cheap?
– You can create a WordPress site that is a traditional WordPress blog.
– You can create a WordPress site that is suitable for the smallest business right on up to the largest corporation.
– You can create a WordPress site that is a membership site where members pay for your content.
– You can create a WordPress site that is an internet storefront to sell your products.
– You can create a WordPress site that is a content management system.
– You can create a WordPress site that is a combination of any or all of the above.
You can install plugins that do SEO for you, backup your database for you, create Google compliant sitemaps for you, handle product sales and delivery for you, handle membership signups for you, and on and on and on.
Do you begin to get the idea that I like WordPress and think WordPress is a great way to create a web site?
So, exactly what is WordPress, and how can you get it for free?
You can find out all about WordPress, and download it for free, at WordPress.org/. WordPress is an open source blog software package that anyone can download and install for free.
If your hosting provider has cPanel with Fantastico, and most do, then you can install it in a matter of minutes from there. If not, you can install the files manually.
WordPress makes it easy for anyone to set up, manage and maintain a website, and you can do it without being a total geek.
What if you get stuck and need help? Simply go to WordPress.org/support/ and you will find active forums full of people ready to help you solve your problem. How easy is that?
Since WordPress is open source, it’s free. That’s always a nice little benefit.
Since it’s open source it also has a thriving community of developers (geeks) constantly improving the software and creating those plugins I mentioned.
WordPress lets you quickly and easily create pages, which are basically content that is static, and not open for comments, and not organized by time.
WordPress lets you quickly and easily create posts, which are basically the blog part of WordPress, and they are usually organized by time-of-post, are usually open for comments, and they are the content to build out the meat of your site.
With WordPress, there are hundreds and hundreds of free themes available so you can easily manage your site’s look and feel. Check them out and download them for free at WordPress.org/extend/themes/.
There are also some really great looking professionally designed themes available for purchase, most at very reasonable prices. These are well worth the money if you want a really professional looking web site.
There are hundreds and hundreds of free plugins available for WordPress, and you can take a look at them by going to WordPress.org/extend/plugins/. There are also many great plugins available that you will pay a reasonable fee for, but if you need a specialized plugin, they are well worth the money.
WordPress is highly customizable, so you can use it for just about anything, and make it do just about anything.
A Few Benefits of Using WordPress:
* Free Or Very Inexpensive! Using WordPress for your web site means it’s either cheap or free. WordPress itself is free, a custom theme is usually in the $50 to $100 range, many themes are even free. End result, you save loads of money compared to the cost of paying someone to design a web site for you.
* It’s So Easy! If you’ve got basic computer skills, WordPress is easy to use. If you can use a word processor like Microsoft Word or even lowly little Notepad, then you can use WordPress. It’s web site creation at it’s easiest.
* You Can Do It Yourself! Get ready Mr. Do-It-Yourselfer! No more need to find and pay a programmer to fix a tiny error, saving you time and money. Need to add some more content or a new page? No problem, you can do it yourself.
* Multiple Users And Accessible On The Internet. WordPress is accessed through an online administrative interface and can allow access to multiple administrators if desired, which means more than one person can log in and fix problems that might develop, and you can access it from anywhere that has internet access. So, you lucky dog, if you’re on some beach in the Bahamas, you can access your site. Since your site is on a secure server through your web host, and you have a backup of your site and database on your own computer (you did create that backup, didn’t you?), you are well protected against data loss.
* Content Pleasing To The Great Google. WordPress makes it easy to have a web site that is search engine friendly. That means your web site is more likely to land on the first page of Google results, which means people are more likely to find you, which means people are more likely to spend time, and money, on your web site.
Since this is a rather long article on WordPress, I decided to break it up into three parts.
Coming up in Part 2, we’ll roll up our sleeves and get into the “down and dirty” details of installing and configuring WordPress.